Well qualified and competent RNs, LPNs, and CNAs provide excellent and holistic nursing care for patients at Southwestern Virginia Mental Health Institute. The Nursing Process is used to implement age-specific interventions for adult and geriatric populations with acute or long-term needs. Nursing staff members continually gain knowledge and improve processes that promote a safe, healing, and hopeful environment; provide safe administration and assessment of medications and treatments; create and role model therapeutic relationships; integrate care between other professional disciplines; and assist the patient and family from the pre-admissions process through discharge to achieve optimal recovery.
Nursing Staff will consistently demonstrate the following:
- Respectful, open, and responsive to feelings, attitudes, and motivations of others in the work place including co-workers of all departments, team members, and others whom we serve in accordance with the principles of a High Performance Organization;
- Helpful and positive behavior and statements, fosters a productive work environment that is free from controversy and hostile interpersonal relationships;
- Constructive and collaborative relationships with co-workers, fostering teamwork through areas such as staffing and scheduling needs, voluntary overtime, participation in meetings and committees; and quality improvement activities;
- Maintains high standards of professional conduct and accountability;
- Handles workplace controversy and conflict in a calm and non-defensive manner;
- Acts discreetly and confidentially in handling sensitive matters;
- Promptly reports/discusses problems or issues with supervisor or others as necessary and appropriate;
- Assists in positive socialization to unit of new employees, wage employees, and pulled staff;
- Provides communication to and from various levels in the organization to promote appropriate flow of information.